Thursday, July 17, 2014

Thomas update

Repair surgery will happen tomorrow, since the lesion is open they want to get it closed as soon as possible. His movement is good. The PT saw him today and she was very happy with his leg reflexes and hip movement. Unfortunately, the closure surgery carries some risk to damage more nerves and take away some of that mobility. His ventricles are very enlarged and he will have to have shunt surgery later in the week. They like to wait a few days if they can after the repair surgery. He will be under general anesthesia for both of these procedures, so please keep him in your thoughts as it is tough for such little guys to go through that and it can cause breathing problems. He is so content it seems, not a lot of crying. He can't eat until after the repair surgery, but the good news is that I have been able to pump and get a good amount of colostrum for him to have after the surgery. 

We will also still need to be evaluated by urology to see if he has neurogenic bladder and if we need to do daily antibiotics or straight cath him. This should happen after repair surgery but probably before shunt placement. 

Lots of stuff to think about, but it all seems so much more conquerable now that he is here. That being said, it is so weird that I don't see him yet. I feel like everyone knows my baby better than me at this point because they see him and touch him and talk to him and then I get to enjoy the pictures, but I am patient and I know the time will come where we can get to know each other, until then, he's on my mind and hopefully feels the love from across the street!

No comments:

Post a Comment