Sunday, August 9, 2015

My bad ass 'bif baby

Thomas had shunt revision surgery at 8:00 pm, August 4th. He was NPO ALL DAY!!! This means he couldn't take any food by mouth. He had an IV in so he wouldn't get dehydrated, but that is not the same as eating and usually he is super cranky if I am there while he is hungry and I have the audacity to not let him nurse. For some reason though, he was perfectly pleasant. He played and laughed and interacted and made me doubt why we were even there. When the neurosurgeon came in, he seemed to be questioning if we should go ahead with the surgery, but the information that we had - the shunt tap not being able to get much fluid back and the ventricles being enlarged - all pointed towards something going wrong with the shunt. They took him to the OR around 7:30 and the doctor came out to talk to us about 10:00. He had a plastic bag with him that had something in it I didn't pay much attention to it at first because I was trying to read his face. As he began to speak, he said Thomas was fine, but his shunt was basically completely clogged  and he reached into the bag. He had brought the proximal catheter of the shunt to show us and on the tubing was the stuff that was clogging it, the choroid plexus. I love medical stuff, I wanted to watch my C-section, I don't get quesy with stuff like that, in fact I find it very interesting, but the thought that part of my baby's brain was in that bag and had been clogging his shunt made my knees a little weak. He proceeded to tell us that he was surprised by how clogged the  shunt was since earlier in the day Thomas was acting so normal. Part of me beamed with pride at my tough little man, but part of me felt nauseous that he could have been living with this pain in his head for quite sometime and we didn't even know, that maybe he didn't know what it was like to live without pain. The important thing is now the shunt was fixed and he was in recovery so we could go see him. He looked so completely exhausted when we got to him, but when he heard our voices he strained to see us and open his eyes. He even gave John a sweet little smile that seemed to take all the energy he could muster. He slept great that night and hit all his post op milestones the next day so they sent us home on Thursday! He is doing incredible. He babbles more and is very alert to everything going on around him. He seems to be brighter and more focused. This is the point where we could start to worry about how we will know if this starts to happen again, but taking my lead from one of Thomas's many lessons he has imparted on us, I choose to enjoy this time. Be here and revel in it. He's healthy, he's home and he's happy!! 

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I've checked several times this week for an update, Sarah -- I know you've been busy, but thanks for the deets! Go, Thomas!

    ReplyDelete